Monday, June 18, 2007

Hey, I Resemble That Remark

Via Relapsed Catholic and Steve Sailer, I come across this line in the NYT:
What if it made people withdraw into themselves, form fewer close friendships,
feel unhappy and powerless and stay home watching television in the evening
instead of attending a neighborhood barbecue or joining a community project?

Now what on earth is wrong and unhappy about staying home and watching television at night? I've been home for a week or so on vacation (head back to work in Cambridge tomorrow, blogging will be light), and my parents switched tv providers so that we now get AMC and TCM, and I don't know if I've ever been happier! Going to some lame barbecue to talk about the weather with half-strangers, or staying in to watch A Fistful of Dollars, as I did last night? I mean, come on, it's not even debatable!

I mean, I am so in love with AMC and TCM right now, it's scary. Where have they been all my life? I even love the AMC commercials, when they have montages of all the movies playing that month (in this month's sequence, I cannot get enough of the Rebel Without a Cause scene where Natalie Wood starts off the car race). I don't know how I am going to live without them for the rest of the summer.

Oh, and the substance of those linked posts is terrific, too, fwiw.

No comments: